Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dilemma

I recently received an email from someone I know on my mission. He was a convert to the church and for about 9 months was always there helping the missionaries. Sometimes he would go out with us for a whole day. He became very close to the missionaries. He was invited by the mission president to actually go to our leadership meeting with the zone leaders. I left the area but not before I became very close to him. In many ways was and still is like a brother to me. He got to know my mom and became very close to my family.
Well, nine months after he was baptized some things happened that made the AP's assistant to presidents ask some questions. This man had basically lied about so many things that he was eventually excommunicated because he was not repentant. On occasion we have received an email from him letting us know how he is and how he has changed...I have no idea if it is true and most likely will never know but I finally decided to email him back. Not because I trust him but because I believe he lied mainly to be accepted and that even if we don't make great choices we still need to know people love us and care. I hope someday he changes, will I ever allow him into my life more than on occasional email. Probably not.

What is the point. I had forgiven him long ago even right after I found out. However, that doesn't mean that I will ever trust him again. And though I love him I cannot have that in my life. My point is that trust in one of the most delicate of items. Once it is lost...it takes ages to get back. Honesty, though very important to me before became even more so after this experience on my mission. Our relationships are so fragile...Be honest, be trusting, love those you love with a purity and integrity. And give those you love only reasons to trust you more.

1 comment:

chadlight5 said...

ouch!!! i guess i deserve that